Le Voyage Dans de Lune

Friday, February 19, 2010

#98 - Unforgiven


Unforgiven, starring Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, and Morgan Freeman, was nominated for nine 1992 Academy Awards, and won five. It was pretty much the whatever-you-could-possibly-want-in-a-western western. I was part bored, part horrified by it, but I do have to admit, the cinematography was awesome, the acting great, and the historical accuracy SPOT ON, other than a 12-years-off gun reference (but no one really cares, so it's ok.)

Now I've never been a big fan of westerns to start; Bonanza was fun at times, Gunsmoke bored me, and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman was slightly ridiculous (Sorry Dr. Quinn fans, but you gotta admit...) So when I actually watched this movie, I was sick at home with nothing to do, which I'm sure is what got me to finish it.

The plot is far too long and complex for me even to attempt to relay to you, so let's just leave it to this: A once notorious bandit, who is now an old, destitute pig farmer, decides to try and make it rich to save his family from ruin. So he joins with an up-and-coming bandit (who's character I am very suspicious was based off of Billy the Kid) and his old partner, and they set out to claim a $1000 reward for two men who cut up a prostitute. As I'm sure you can imagine, there is all the rough ridin', gun slingin', whiskey drinkin', body beatin', pretty lady kissin' you could ever hope for in a western. Though, keep in mind, it is a lot darker and truer to life then a lot of the more classic westerns, so to the light hearted: Don't watch it! I want you to stay that way!

I really appreciated how it didn't glamorize the old west, and showed it as the corrupt wilderness it was, really the illustrating the saying "If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere." Mostly the characters had that expression; you know the one I'm talking about, the If-you-smile-at-me-I-will-kick-your-puppy expression. But even the rough and tough Sheriff had his funny moments, and bless the man for having a sense of humor with that face. Heh heh...sorry Sheriff.

1 comment:

  1. I hate that expression. On par with talk-to-me-and-I'll-push-you-in-front-of-a-moving-vehicle expression.

    ReplyDelete